Thursday 11 March 2010

Rachel Goodyear talk

Rachel Goodyear does delicate pencil and watercolour drawings on paper she uses a lot of big pieces of paper but only make small drawings she leaves white space to let your imagination fill the rest of the space and to fill in the scenery, her drawings always tend to have a narrative, they are like fairytales, there is a relationship between the characters to engage in the work. she strips the characters from there background to engage the viewer to make then take a closer look. For her preparation she watches animal documentaries to relate them to human characteristics she also looks at mythology. Rachel uses her own photographs to get the position of the human figure she also gets other people to take photos of herself so that she can draw them she also uses magazines and images from them. This is a great way of getting her human figure to be in the exact position that she wants it to be she can also set lighting so she gets shadows in the right places.



               Rachel Goodyear, Girl and Dog, 2008                                 




Rachel Goodyear, Girl with Jellyfish, 2008

In some of her drawings she puts her self in vulnerable positions this relates to domesticity in the piece Girl and Dog- there is a unknowing scene of what’s happening is this pleasure or pain is the dog trying to get attention, there is no emotion she tends to hide faces loneliness. The piece Girl with Jellyfish there is many questions about this piece is she enjoying this is she punishing her self is it playful curiosity or just an absurd reality. She makes her work personal which you can relate to. I like the dark side to these images there is a sense of unknowing what is really happening here and were is she I like that I can play with my imagination and find the story out for myself.

Rachel Goodyear, Rat-King, 2009

Rat king she takes this drawing off the white paper and used card to laser cut it ending up with very detailed doily like rats tails all joined together this seems grotesque but it is attracting with repulsion. I really enjoyed Rachel’s talk it was interesting to know what things inspired her and how she worked. I liked that people come to her with objects I thought that was really nice and is a great idea for a little project that might be interesting for me to do. The small delicate drawings inspired me to draw on a smaller scale leaving more white space to fill with my own imagination, here are some of my pencil drawings inspired by Rachel.




I plan to do more drawings like this but I will get them out of my sketchbook, on to either A1 or A2 paper this will give them allot more white space for more imagination, this will allow there to be other objects maybe even a car in one corner and dead pheasant in the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment